If you’re familiar with office chairs, chances are you’ve come across the Haworth brand. Haworth is a household name in office and home office space solutions, seating, storage, and, most popularly, furniture. Today, our focus will be on these two – haworth fern vs zody. And if you’re wondering if they differ in any way, here’s what I can tell you.
Released in 2019, Haworth Fern is the newer edition of Haworth Zody, having been released 9 years earlier. Naturally, the Fern is newer and improved. Also, there is over a $150 difference between both chairs as the Zody is cheaper than the Fern. These are the main differences between the chairs.
Haworth is very popular for its office furniture. So, getting either of these chairs means that you’re getting quality and durability. You can’t go wrong with either of them. The question now is how these two office chairs compare. And which is the best fit for you?
Let’s find out now, shall we?
If we’re talking about comfort, performance and modernity, the Haworth Fern has it all. The chair takes comfort to a whole new level with the absence of a hard outer frame. Instead, it has a soft and pliable edge that won’t dig into any part of your body. So you can move freely without any limitations. How cool is that?
We can’t talk about this office chair without mentioning its performance, which in this case, is stellar. The seat also has a soft fabric covering with seat depth adjustment for customization. The chair’s base is plastic, making for a pliable frame. You also get seat height adjustment, hard rolling casters, and highly adjustable arms.
Regarding back support, it’s a hit or miss with most office chairs. But that’s not the case with the Fern. With its modern ergonomic innovations, it provides consistent back support. One of the selling points of Fern’s back support is its responsiveness. Going by back support, you can’t go wrong with this chair.
The best thing about Haworth’s Fern is its ease of use. It comes fully assembled in the box, so assembly isn’t required.
- No assembly required: The Fern doesn’t require any assembly as it comes fully assembled. If you’re terrified at the prospect of nuts and screws like me, you’ve got nothing to worry about here. Simply get it out of the box, and viola!
- Environmentally Sensitive: The Fern has a Greenguard Gold badge. This means that it is safe for the environment. Haworth created this masterpiece with people in mind while not creating environmental hazards.
- Responsive back support: The chair’s unique back support is very responsive. It follows the movement of your back to provide a soft cushion for your back. You can be sure of optimum back support.
- Durability: The chair comes with a whooping 12 Year Limited Warranty. Safe to say, you won’t need another office chair for a long time.
- Lightweight: The Fern distinguishes itself from its counterparts with its unique 9 kg weight. The chair is uncharacteristically lightweight, perfect if you will be transporting the chair to different rooms in the house.
- Modern look: Having been released not too long ago, the chair has a modern and innovative look and feel. Its signature high back adds to the feel of the chair.
- The lumbar support has limited adjustability.
- Forward tilt is limited.
Designed over 11 years ago, you might think the Haworth Zody is not worth mentioning, let alone purchasing. Far from it. Trust Haworth to always bring its A-game on. And they did just that with Zody.
The Zody is the only chair ever endorsed by the American Physical Therapy Association for research-based comfort. It is also the first task chair to be certified Cradle to Cradle Gold. These achievements on a so-called old chair? Kudos to Haworth.
The Zody chair is versatile. It goes from your regular task chair to the conference room to the CEO’s office. You’ve got an all-rounder here. And for an affordable price. The adjustments are easy to locate and navigate for ease of use.
Of course, it was built with the environment in mind. The chair is certified Cradle to Cradle Gold for following MBDC Cradle to Cradle protocol. The Zody contains up to 51% recycled content. Even better, it is up to 98% recyclable. Name a more environmentally sensitive company; I’ll wait.
- Clinically Certified: The Zody chair is the only chair endorsed by the American Physical Therapy Association for science-based comfort. Coming from a huge health and clinical body, it’s a win for Zody.
- Versatility: The Zody chair goes from a regular office desk chair to the CEO’s companion in no time. The chair serves a variety of purposes.
- Great value for money: The Zody chair still performs impressively today, and it is one of the best buys your money can get.
- Great Design: The traditional look of the chair offers comfort and familiarity. If you like sticking to what you already know, you’ll do well with this chair.
- Environmentally sensitive: The Zody chair racks accolades for its environmental sustainability, having been designed with the best practices for a safe environment.
- The chair sits in a very upright position, perfect for proper posture, but some users find it a bit aggressive and tiring on the back.
- You have to set this chair up yourself, and some users complained that there’s no instruction manual.
Both chairs do have some similarities, but of course, you can always tell them apart. You will see how these office chairs are similar to each other but also how they differ. Let’s dive in!
Haworth spares no effort in creating good quality furniture, and this shows in the quality of the Fern and Zody chairs. Both chairs look and feel like timeless, elegant pieces that will fit nicely in your home office or workspace.
The Fern, being the newer model, has an ultra-modern look. You would know just by looking at it that it is more modern and pricier. If you want to take the elegance of your workspace up a notch, the Fern chair will serve you well.
The seat has soft fabric upholstery for breathability, with the back having mesh fabric. The chair’s name takes inspiration from the fern leaf as the back is shaped like a fern leaf. All in all, it is a very attractive chair that will definitely add to the beauty of your workspace.
The Zody, on the other hand, has a more traditional design. The entire back is covered with mesh, so it’s also quite breathable. The seat also has a fabric covering. The backrest has a unique curved design.
The major difference here is the assembly. The Fern chair comes fully assembled in the box. Zody doesn’t. You have to put the chair together yourself.
Both chairs are high-performance chairs, no doubt. The Fern is equipped with hard rolling casters that glide smoothly over carpet or wood. The soft fabric seat is fully depth adjustable. The plastic frame scores major points as it provides a soft base for the chair. So, there’s no digging or poking into your body.
The chair has a standard back support with back stop and a pneumatic seat height adjustment. The 4D arms adjust sideways and up and down.
The ergonomic features of the Zody include standard rolling casters, well-padded seat cushion, breathable fabric upholstery, top-notch back support and 4D arms.
Of course, comfort is one important aspect to look out for when getting an office chair. Good thing both chairs offer only the highest level of comfort.
The Fern chair has an ultra-soft fabric seat covering and mesh material for the backrest that absorbs heat well. Say goodbye to that uncomfortable stickiness when it gets hot. The seat itself feels comfortable on the butt. The cushion is not too thin nor too thin, hugging your butt in the right places.
The seat depth is highly adjustable. So, if you have long legs, you can adjust it to suit you better. Even when reclined, your feet will remain on the floor. And it will not dig into the back of your knees.
The Zody is the more medically designed chair; you can also expect it to be comfortable. It feels nice and welcoming on the back and butt. The padded seat ensures comfortable seating all day long, as well as the intricately designed back support. We’ll get into the back support next.
The Fern’s backrest is shaped like a fern leaf, hence the name. And the design follows the natural shape of the spine for better support. The lumbar support is the true definition of a fern leaf. It has veins and fronds, and it looks really cool. The downside is that you can’t adjust the lumbar support as it is fixed.
The Zody, however, takes this to another level. But this shouldn’t come as a surprise, as it’s a medically endorsed chair. The backrest is also curved, with a hard curve in the lower back. This patented pelvic lower back support helps keep your spine’s natural curve.
The lumbar support has a unique asymmetrical design. This means that you can adjust it to the left or right. You will appreciate Zody’s back support more if you have back issues, as it is medically designed.
The Fern is an ultra-modern office chair with newer and improved features. It offers top-notch comfort, ergonomics, and a whooping 12 years limited warranty. But all these come at a price. You can check the price of Haworth Fern here.
Being a clinically endorsed chair, the Zody is less expensive than the Fern. But you can expect this, seeing as it is an older version. You can check the price of Haworth Zody here.
Here lies the ultimate question – which chair is better for you? If you’re unsure which choice to make, let me help you out.
If you’re looking for something powerful, modern and elegant, the Fern will suit you well. The chair offers longevity, responsiveness and comfort while being sensitive to the environment. Bonus point, it comes fully assembled.
On the other hand, you’ll appreciate the Zody more if you have chronic back, hip, or butt pain. Plus, it is cheaper. So, the Zody might be a better choice if you’re looking to save money.
I hope you’ve found this review helpful. See you at the next one.